JUNIOR MARKET HOG SHOW RULES:
1. Preliminary entries must be made with the U.P. State Fair, 2401 12th Avenue North, Escanaba, MI 49829, on or before June 1, 2011. Entries must be made on the attached Preliminary Entry Blank for Junior Market Hog Show and Sale. The preliminary entry form must be completed in its entirety. Late or incomplete forms will not be accepted, absolutely no exceptions will be made.
2. Final entries to show at the fair must be made individually, on the proper Fair Entry Blank, by July 15, 2011. Entry must show proper animal identification.
3. An exhibitor’s official fair age is the exhibitor’s age on January 1, 2011.
4. Entry weights must be taped or certified by a weighmaster slip at time of start of feeding program from a bona fide leader and/or county extension agent.
5. Itemized records should begin on the day the exhibitor takes possession of the animal. All market hogs must have been owned by junior exhibitor and must have been in his care prior to June 1, 2011.
6. The Upper Peninsula State Fair will assign and furnish the ear tag after June 1, 2011 for each market hog entered. The tag must be placed on top of the animals ear as soon as it is received. This tag will be used to identify the market hog when it arrives at the fair and through the showing and selling process. Market hogs will not be accepted at the fair unless the tag with the assigned number is in the ear of the market hog. If an ear tag is lost, a written request must be sent to the fair office for permission to replace the ear tag with another furnished by the fair.
7. Exhibitors are limited to exhibit one market hog only in the show and sale. Exhibitors may enter an alternate market hog, which may be used as an alternate for immediate family members.
8. Junior market livestock exhibitors may exhibit more than one specie, but shall be allowed to sell only one. In the event a member has an overall grand or reserve champion animal, another animal may be sold.
9. A minimum fair weight of 225 pounds is required.
10. Only barrows or gilts may be shown, boars are not eligible..
11. Animals meeting the weight requirements and approved by the superintendent will be sold at the Junior Market Livestock Auction on Saturday, August 20, 2011.
12. The 2011 sale will be grand and reserve steers, grand and reserve ultra sound steers, grand and reserve hogs, grand and reserve lambs, grand and reserve ulltra sound lambs, grand and reserve market goats, followed by the remaining steers, hogs, lambs and top ten market goats.
13. Exhibitors are required to submit a completed set of records for their animal. Record books must be submitted at the Upper Peninsula State Fair by 12:00 p.m., EDT, Tuesday, August 16, 2011. Exhibitors will forfeit all premiums (Market Class and Market Livestock Recordkeeping) for that animal if the records are not submitted by the deadline or are incomplete. The final weight may be determined by tape measure or scale at home or at the fair. This will allow the exhibitor to complete the record book prior to the fair.
Junior Market Hog Application